Tuesday, May 23, 2006

LOVE / HATE (Amazing Lace Challenge #1)

My name is Laura (aka YarnThrower).

I brought Summer in Kansas home more than a year ago. What's not to love? Its delicate border, its special shaping at the neckline to help keep it in place atop shoulders, its nice size... I could go on and on...

I'm smiling in the photo, but don't get the wrong idea. Things haven't always looked so good between us.

Our relationship really began at the end of March 2006, with turbulent times right from the start. Here is what resulted from our first rendevous... and our second... and our third... and our fourth... I know you get the picture. It was hard to love the lace at that point, and I began to wonder if this relationship was going to be worth all of the work.

However, we persevered. At least three times we had to enlist assistance from a third party (the "lifeline"). Without lifelines I'm not sure where the shawl and I would be, but I'm confident there is a dress code there and nice jackets having sleeves which tie in the back.

In any case, we got through it, and this week we are about to embark on a new phase of our relationship: The knitted-on border. If it doesn't kill us, it will make us stronger!

(I'm also struggling with monogamy, but more on that at another time.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hee hee, your comment about the place with the dress code and jackets with sleeves that tie in back cracked me up. I hope you don't end up there -- it seems pretty safe to say at this point that you won't. It sounds like lifelines really did their job here!