Tuesday, May 16, 2006

I Control the Weather

Dear Cynthia,

I'm planning on washing my kids' winter coats today so that I may store them away for the summer. This guarantees that tomorrow our temperatures will be hovering in the 20 degree F range, much too cold for them to wear only their sweaters. Further, I have been working on this bulky green sweater, fully anticipating that I won't be able to wear it yet this spring because it will be too warm here in May. Well, it is May, and I have a little more than half of a sleeve and the collar remaining, and though today would make a fine day to be wearing this sweater outside, when I finally have it completed in a week or two, our summer will have arrived suddenly, and without that month of "free" climate control in which the furnace has been shut down but the air conditioner has not yet been invoked. I could stop working on the green sweater altogether until fall. However, that would only guarantee a summer that arrived really late and extended into November. I think I really need to get in contact with the people who are working on the global warming problem.

I have this to say about the sweater right now, however: I am decreasing on the sleeve, and so there are fewer and fewer stiches as I work toward the cuff. Contrast that with the shawl, in which there are more and more stitches as I work. Here it is with 138 of 160 rows completed, making the main body of it 74% done in terms of stitch count. To make "yet one more picture of the lump of shawl" more interesting, it is shown with the latest issue of Cast On. I'm thinking that the Donegal Tweed Jacket from it is in my future.

I have my last test of the semester today. Then you won't have to hear anything more about any classes until fall, and perhaps I'll actually crank out a finished object or two...

Warm regards,
Laura (aka YarnThrower)

1 comment:

sheep#100 said...

Hurray for the end of the semester!