This pattern was inspired by Ruth's "Perfect" Baby Booties, though my construction method is quite different, eliminating the seam found along the back and center bottom of many baby bootie patterns. (After searching online **unsuccessfully** for a "seamless" baby bootie pattern, I decided to figure one out on my own...)
This particular pattern begins at the cuff of the bootie and works down toward the bottom. If you prefer working from the bottom up, I've also posted a "Baby Booties Without Seams (bottom up)" pattern.
(This pattern is the property of YarnThrower and may not be reproduced except for one copy for individual use. If you print or distribute this pattern without YarnThrower's written permission, you are stealing.)
Needles required: Size 5 DPN's
Yarn required: DK or Sport weight
- Cast-on 36 stitches.
- Joining to work in the round, *K2P2* for 20 rounds.
- Knit 1 round.
- *K2tog, YO, K1* and repeat until end of round. (This forms eyelets for inserting a tie.)
- Knit 2 rounds.
- Next round (set up round): K22, M1, turn. (revised 8/5/2009, was "20")
- Next row (purl short row): Slip 1 as to purl, P8, M1, turn.
- Next row (knit short row): Slip 1 as to purl, K8, M1, turn.
- Work these two rows until there are a total of 52 stitches. Do not turn work after the M1 of the final purl row.
- Slip next stitch onto right needle, bring yarn to opposite side of work, then return the slipped stitch to the left needle. (This is "wrapping" the stitch.) Now turn work.
- Knit to end of round (which will be the back of the bootie).
- Knit one round, knitting wrapped stitch along with its wrap.
- Knit seven rounds.
- Purl one round.
- Knit one round.
- *P4, P2tog, P14, P2tog, P4* twice.
- *K2tog, K20, K2tog* twice.
- *P3, P2tog, P12, P2tog, P3* twice.
- *K2tog, K16, K2tog* twice.
- *P2, P2tog, P10, P2tog, P2* twice.
- *K2tog, K12, K2tog* twice. (28 stitches)
- Place first 14 stitches of round on one dpn; place the rest of the stitches on a second dpn. Work a three needle bind-off.
- Cut yarn.
- Weave in ends.
- NO SEAM TO SEW!