Thursday, May 11, 2006

Knitters' Insurance

Dear Cynthia,

Your mold experience reminded me of the time we spent a few days at Ruth's place in Duluth, when the water from the lower level shower, for months, had been detouring through the carpeting in the spare bedroom on its way out to the sewer, and I was sneezing like crazy. I hope you are able to find a quick and complete solution! There is knitting to be done, and messing around with house issues is taking time away from what you should be doing! I guess that's why they say "Your home is your hastle", I mean castle.

I have an exam next Tuesday, and I am behind in putting laundry away to the tune of about five loads, and my kitchen floor hasn't been mopped in weeks, so I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed right now. And so, I did what any sane knitter would do: I cast on for a new sweater.

This is the Gedifra which I got at Coyote Yarns for 50% off, a wonderful and beautiful wool/alpaca blend. It is going to be a sweater for my godson, whose birthday is in July. It is going to have a big "A" on the front of it, sort of like the Harry Potter sweaters, but I've added a little bit of a rolled edge to the bottom, some striped ribbing, and am using a thicker yarn. The first time I worked across the ribbing with the contrast color, I forgot to "knit" all of the stitches, and so I had little gray purl bumps showing on the right side...but then I ripped back and started knitting each stitch across one row each time I changed color, and so now it is full speed ahead.

For knitters, money is of no value in terms of "insurance" against running out of yarn near the end of a project. (Maybe I'm paranoid, but, halfway through the first skein, I am having angst about not having enough yarn.) Since Coyote Yarns is closing in mere weeks, and since the sale is incredible (40% off for all purchases over $40), this yarn is not going to be within my easy reach very soon, so I bought myself a little insurance knitters' style -- one more skein of the gray, which can easily become a matching hat if not consumed in the making of the sweater.

The weather is cold and rainy here today, and I heard on the news last night that it is coming to us by way of Indiana, including 50 mph winds expected tonight. I hope that all is well on your homefront over there in Hoosierland. At least you don't have to worry about being stuck in your house without any knitting supplies :-)

Warm regards,
Laura (aka YarnThrower)

No comments: