Friday, March 31, 2006

It's NOT stash!!

Dear Laura:

I’m happy that you are back on track (rhyming noted!) with your lace knitting! It looks beautiful and my fingers are quite itching to try, Although, if YOU are unable to do it with any distractions, I have faint hope of keeping track in a completely quiet room!

I’m plugging along on the red baby blanket. Progress is being made - I’m about a quarter of the way done. I hope to make significant progress this weekend, since I won’t be doing a lot of driving! I do enjoy this pattern, it’s very easy to get into a flow and just get lost in the knitting. The knitting pattern has a cool rhythm. There are 3 sets of 3 (k3, yo,k1,yo, k3) and 2 sets of decreases. I can chant “123,123,123, 2 become 1, 2 become 1….”

I had a surprise in the mail waiting for me when I got home. A box of yarn! Actually, when I picked it up, I thought, “Hmm, well it’s too heavy to be yarn…” An old friend ran across this vintage stash and sent it on to me. Happily with a note telling me that it wasn’t anything that I wanted, I should feel free toss it or pass it along.

Being freed from any obligation (and as you previously posted, such donations do NOT count as stash!) I’ve been contemplating this yarn. First we should note the colors, which as I mentioned are considered “vintage.” Those of you familiar with my color sense are saying, “Hmm, fat chance she’ll knit something that you don’t need to wear sunglasses to look at!” Well, just calm down. If you separate the box into individual color ways, there is some merit there. I pulled out a couple skeins that are an olive green color with some pink flecks that really is kind of cool. The red with the light blue also looks interesting.

I don’t know what the fiber is – I would be surprised tho if it is wool. I may have to do a flame test (ha ha, playing with fire!!) It also has an interesting texture. So, I think I’ll leave it lying out for a while, see if it speaks to me and what it may want to be. In the end, it may not want to be….but I’m giving it a chance.

Keep knitting!

Cynthia (aka Designated Knitter)

1 comment:

Lauren said...

Hey, you know, anything that you dont want out of your magical box of free yarn, um, well let's just say I have a lot of empty needles. :-) Hint hint!