Thursday, March 16, 2006

A New Plan

Dear Cynthia,

I tallied up my works-in-progress, and it's not as out of control as I thought it might be.

First, here is a cabled cotton sweater. The yarn has been in my stash since the late 90's, and the sweater has been on the needles for two? years. Anyway, as with many of my projects lately, there is a possible issue of running out of some yarn, so I should really knit some more on this and place an order for any additional yarn which might possibly be required...if they still make this yarn, but I checked online a few months ago, and I think I'll be okay. Anyway, this is a little bit of a complicated project... Not difficult, but not so mindless that I would consider taking it to, say, an urgent care facility where there will be a two hour wait for my dear son to see a doctor.

Next is a Christmas stocking, my own pattern, using bulky yarn, and which I was trying to write up as I went. I was doing fine, until I ran out of steam at the toe, about a year ago. It is something that might take me all of one hour to complete...and yet, EVERYTHING else seems more compelling right now. Also, definitely NOT something lending itself well to being worked on while waiting for a doctor, hypothetically speaking, of course.

Third, and you might recognize this yarn as I received it in a "yarn bomb" package a year or two ago..... we have some nice wool chenille and some novelty yarn, two things I wouldn't be inclined to purchase myself (since I'm a Heilo / Cascade 220 / Lambs Pride / Blackberry Ridge kind of gal), but which I really enjoyed knitting a triangular scarf with, until I got to a point where I couldn't figure out what to do. I'm not sure if it is all knitters, or just me, but as you know, I very **often** have thoughts about whether or not there will be enough yarn. For this project, I started running short on the novelty yarn and ended up setting it aside until I figured out what I would do. And so, yesterday, I had an epiphany, and I will be moving this project out of the "wips" pile and into the "requires re-work" pile. I have a new scarf pattern churning in my head which I will try to work out with this yarn. Again, not something well-suited to an urgent care waiting area.

Fourth, and no up-to-date photo, but work continues on the green sweater of my own design, and while it was "mindless" for a little while, the next step is neck shaping and not quite as mindless...

And so, that is it for wips! Enter my dear son, who came home from school yesterday with a fever approaching 102, which he has had on and off since Sunday, and which I was sooo tired of messing around with and trying to figure out if he was going to get better on his own. And so, I decided to take him to urgent care (synonymous with "long wait") last night. And, as I saw it, I was left with no choice but to bring yarn for something mindless, and having clearly no such ongoing projects, well, I was forced to start a new sock. I hope you will understand why I had to start a new project without first finishing all of my existing ones. I generally consider myself to be a woman of my word, but it appears that desperate times call for desperate measures.....

Warm regards,
Laura (aka YarnThrower)

No comments: