The "Campus Coat" from Aug-Nov 2005 "Cast On" is done.
I think the main reason I decided on this project was that it looked very cute in the magazine, and I would feel younger wearing an item having such youthful connotations in its name.
There were some issues with the yarn called for. For my size, it said four skeins. I ended up using a full six. Also, the name of the yarn company rhymes with "dead part", but I thought since it appeared in a reputable magazine, I'd try it anyway, and there wouldn't be too much money lost if I didn't like the end result.
There were some issues with the neckline stretching out A LOT.
To fix this, I decided to do a row of single crochet into the ridge where I picked up the stitches for the collar. That helped.
Also, I like closure on things, and this sweater was no exception, so I added a couple of buttons. The knitted fabric is loose enough so that actual buttonholes weren't necessary.
Ultimately, this coat is rather bulky and extremely warm. I was too warm with it on in the house yesterday, and we keep our thermostat set at 66F. It is also comfortably light weight. It will be a great coat to wear this spring, when I take the boys to the park and toss a football around. I won't have to worry about "keeping it nice", because I can just throw it in the washer when it gets dirty, and it will keep me warm without being heavy. I don't think I'd make it again, and the more I used the yarn, the less I liked it, but all in all I think the finished product will be well suited to wearing with the rest of my play clothes.
And, I have to mention, another wip completed, moving me one step closer to being able to begin a "new project". In my next post, I will reveal all remaining wips. S-C-A-R-Y
Laura (aka YarnThrower)