Friday, March 24, 2006

Sock Yarn Stash, Part Deux

Dear Laura:

Hey, do you like that little French word in the title? Sounds pretty cosmopolitan, eh?? Yep, I'm a 'tres chic' sock knitter.... ;)

So, on to more sock yarn...(did I mention that I'm not showing my "other yarn?" That this is not all the yarn in my house by a long shot??? I have stash issues, you know.)

Now we are moving into the more current part of the stash. This is yarn for gift socks. The black-with-grey-flecks yarn is for socks for my nephew-in-law Todd. He joined the family last June when he married Amber, so he needs a pair of hand-knit socks. Hmm, better find out his birthday. The other yarn is for my sil Chris, who helps me out all the time, and invites me over for dinner when I stop by and shamelessly hint that it smells good. I think it might be Blackberry Ridge - that would be a good assumption anyway, since I love their yarn and it is usually my first pick. She loves autumn colors.

Next up is two colorways of Trekking XXL. I've got the leg of the first Jaywalker sock just about done - but when I grabbed it to take the picture I noticed that a couple of needles no longer have stitches on them, so I'll have to do some picking up next time I work on it. (Can you believe that I just said that?? Me, loosened up enough to let un-needled stitches lay around in the stash? Who knew?) The other pair is on its 2nd or 3rd try for the perfect stitch pattern. I don't know what it is in the picture, I just know this isn't the perfect pattern yet, so I'm still searching. Maybe something with eyelets. Cables haven't shown well at all.




Next we have some fun things. The two skeins on the left are Wool In The Woods, and I believe it is a cotton blend. It represents an attempt at an interesting colorway, yet without making anyone's eyes bleed. The upper right pair in green is a yarn that I used for my Sock-a-pal2za sock pal. I did hers in a blues/reds. I loved the long stripe, so I chose a pair in green for myself. I have a good number of green shirts that I wear with jeans, so I thought a green pair of socks would be good. And then the blue aqua pair. Well, that's just classic me. LOVE those colors, and these end up with fairly even 1" stripes. Can't wait to wear these!

And that brings us to my very latest acquisitions.
The upper left ball of yarn is the new Austermann Step. Just arrived in the Wool Barn last week. It has a long stripe pattern, and there is Jojoba and Aloe in the yarn. Sounds cool, but mostly I loved the colors (duh) so there it is. At the upper right we have another colorway of Trekking XXL. When I bought it, I was thinking I would use it as a carry-along for part of the red baby blanket that I'm working on. I tried it for the border, but in the end I decided that I really wanted that blanket to be solid red. And finally, the Stars and Stripes yarn by Fortissima. It's patriotic, what can I say???

That just leaves my SockapalOOOza socks. I grabbed them when I did the "summary photo." They are the kind of hanging off the top of the chair - navy blue "toes." I'm using blackberry ridge and am working out my own design. They are toe-up, worked on 2 circulars, both at the same time. And they are next on the list for my full attention. (I know, I know, I say that about all my projects.)

Well, that's all for now. You should know that I went to a yarn store on my way through Chicago yesterday, and I did NOT buy any sock yarn to add to this stash. And I'm not planning on buying any when we meet later today at a yarn store......unless it's really GREAT sock yarn in beautiful colors. Just sayin'.

Yes, loyal readers (hi mom!) the Yarnthrower and the Designated Knitter will be checking out a yarn store and having a 'show and tell' session later this morning. Since we're both in the same state this weekend, we couldn't resist the chance to actually TALK IN PERSON, so we'll be posting a report of Spring Mini-Yarn Crawl 2006 in the near future (right Laura?)

Keep knitting!

Cynthia (aka Designated Knitter)

No comments: