Wednesday, March 29, 2006

I think I can do this

Dear Cynthia,

That was a fun excursion to East Troy! I'm so glad we could visit and talk knitting for a little while!

Back in the real world, it is Spring Break for my kindergartener. At the same time, I'm trying to get the play room de-cluttered. We are having a bookcase delivered tomorrow which I am anticipating will solve all clutter-related issues, though today we will have to rearrange the existing furniture just a little bit. It is all very exciting, even if only to me.

Here is my lace shawl so far. I've got about 46 rows done (out of 160 rows which comprise the main body of the thing). This might make it sound as though I'm pretty far along. However, I have to remember that every two rows adds either four or eight stitches, so the thing is growing growing growing, and though I currently have 137 stitches on my needles, by the time I finish the main body, I will have 405 stitches. The good news is that I'm starting to understand the pattern and it seems to be getting easier. I still would not be able to reconstruct a dropped stitch, but I am able to tell which stitch should come next just by looking at my knitting, so I know I'm improving. Don't get me wrong. I'm not so sure of myself that I would stop putting in a lifeline every ten to twenty rows. It gives me a sense of security. Looking at this blob of knitting, it is not easy to tell that it may one day look something like this, after the magic of blocking...

And, the sock progresses when I'm not working on the lace.

Well, today is a laundry marathon. It's looking pretty mild outside, too, so the boys and I will have to go play outside for a while! It is Spring Break, after all. Who needs Florida for that?!

Warm regards,
Laura (aka YarnThrower)

No comments: