Saturday, April 15, 2006

No second sock syndrome here!

Dear Cynthia,

I'm not sure what to attribute it to, but for the past several months, I have had no second sock syndrome. In fact, I just finished another pair of socks this morning (when I should have been cleaning toilets to prepare for a house full of visitors tomorrow). I really like the little stripes, and the two socks match each other quite well, if I do say so myself, EXCEPT, I can't figure out what happened on the heel. The toes match almost perfectly, the cuff tops match almost perfectly, the pick-up rows on the heel gussets look strikingly alike, and yet, the bottom of the heels clearly do not match. Just a little curve ball from the tricky knitting gods, I suppose. If somebody is taking the time to really examine the bottom of my heels, though, then he/she has too much time on his/her hands. Note to self: wear clogs...just in case I was thinking about walking around in my nice new hand-knit socks outside with no shoes on. Right.

In other news, the shawl looks like a bigger pile of tangled string than it did before, and with your fine imagination, I did not think an up-to-date photo of such a thing was necessary. For anybody keeping track, I finished up through row 78, and I get to begin a new pattern on row 87 (in only eight more rows, not that I'm paying a LOT of attention to it AT ALL, as I row by row keep adding stitches and am approaching the "black hole" in which no progress will be apparent for a long time). I haven't had to rip back to a lifeline for about 35 rows, though I can't believe I put that in print. (Now I'm just asking for the knitting gods to wreak havoc with me. I guess it's a good thing I don't really believe in the knitting gods.)

Have a blessed and joyous Easter, as we celebrate the Resurrection of our Lord and Savior!
Warm regards,
Laura (aka YarnThrower)

1 comment:

Emma said...

The socks look great, and you're right--anyone who would notice the differences is a weirdo and probably not someone you'd want to hang out with anyway. Love the stripes!