Thursday, June 22, 2006

I Am a Slacker...

Dear Laura:

I just love that "A" sweater. It looks so great blocked out - so...perfect! You are way out-producing me these days, and not just knitting wise. I have no idea how you get it all done!

I have not made such progress.

I spent the weekend camping with friends at a nearby campground. I arrived about 40 minutes before they did on Friday night, so I set up my chair and grabbed my knitting basket. It was SO relaxing to sit in the quiet evening, smelling the smoke of campfires all around, enjoying the breeze and knitting. I got most of the way through the first row of twisted garter stitch on the baby sweater and realized that I hadn't looked down at my knitting at all. Straight knitting-into-the-back-loop? I can do that with my eyes closed!! Ha!
Over the next few days, I knitted at the beach and the campsite while still participating in the whole thing. I got 12-14 rows done, and well into the final ball of yarn. Then on Monday evening, while working on it at home....with my eyes open....I discovered a dropped stitch. I can pick up a drop stitch, even on garter stitch, but after working on it for a while, I had to admit that the "twist" was kickin' my behind. So I ripped back...and ended up at right about the place I was when I discovered that I was good enough to knit with my eyes closed.

The imaginary knitting gods will not be mocked, nor will they tolerate arrogance.

Tuesday night was a "knitting break" since I needed to take my car to my brother's house to have new rear brakes installed. While he worked on the car, I worked on a project for his wife. I don't like admitting this on my knitting blog....but I crocheted trim on some flip-flops for her. I don't mind admitting that I crochet - in fact, it was my first yarn craft, and I still enjoy picking up a hook....but I used "fuzzy yarn." You know, the kind I mock other people for using??? Yeah, that kind. And I have another pair to do...

Last night I worked on the baby sweater again, (and I've made up most of the "negative progress" from the weekend)....until the storm rolled through which took down a steeple in our little town and left us without power until 5 o'clock this morning. I went to bed - what else can you do?? When I pulled out of my garage this morning tho, I discovered that the storm had also taken out a large chunk of a dead tree which was now blocking my driveway. Much to big a chunk for me to drag away, so I did a little "off-roading" through the yard to get to work. I was running too late for a picture, but if it hasn't been cleaned up by time I get home, I'll add a picture later.

So, that's all the news from here.

Keep knitting! (and keep your eyes open!)

Cynthia (aka Designated Knitter)

No comments: