Saturday, March 17, 2007

Sapporo and Dishrags - more of the same

Greetings and Dear Cynthia,

Well, it sounds like you've **inherited** your stash aquisition tendencies. I imagine that "fighting" these tendencies is very similar to fighting high cholesterol -- there are some things you can change, but a large part of it is programmed into your genes. Well, I guess you have to make the best of what you've been given :-)

Thanks to those of you who kindly commented that you weren't able to pinpoint on which row I reversed the way I was carrying the yarn on my Sapporo.

The arrow marks the row in which I started carrying the black yarn in my right hand, and the light yarn in my left (dominant) hand. Since nobody said anything about it jumping out at her/him, I decided I'm not going to worry about it. ("Perfect" is the enemy of "good enough".)

I finished the first sleeve for the Sapporo. The pattern says to work a purl stitch at the end of each row, with increases periodically on each side of that purl stitch. So, though this sleeve was knit entirely in the round, it appears to have a "seam" along the length of it. I wasn't sure I'd like it at first, but now I really do. Also, note the reverse stockinette at the very top of the sleeve which will be the inside facing to cover the seam after the sleeve is sewn into the body of the sweater.The second sleeve is well under way, though not very exciting knitting...

...and so, the Dishrag O Rama continues...Hey, the Badgers made it to the second round of the NCAA basketball tournament! That means about two hours of solid knitting time during the game tomorrow!

Warm regards,
Laura (YarnThrower)

4 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Definitely do NOT worry about that transition point where you changed hands. No one else will ever notice.

Can't wait to see it when it's all done.

Lauren said...

Ah, dishrag mania. It's sweeping the nation! The knitting nation, I guess. I am currently teaching one of my friends how to do the ballband pattern. Your sweater is looking great!

Cindy G said...

Yup, a slip stitch pattern (G).

The Sapporo looks great. Even with the arrow, the change is hardly noticable. Wish I could achieve such an even tension with stranded knitting...

Jenn said...

I think I changed hands at exactly the same point in my Sapporo. I don't really notice it on mine or on yours. I didn't do the purl stitch on the sleeve and lined up my increases differently than in the instructions. I like the way yours looks with the purl column. Mine definitely looks different. I got Sapporo blocked this weekend, got about half the hemming completed, steeked for the zipper and started on the ribbing today. I posted a picture of the blocking on my blog.

I am truly hoping to get it finished this coming weekend. Saturday is the last class in my 8 week series that was intended for the sweater. My zipper still hasn't come in though. I'll have to call this week to find out when it's expected.

Love the way yours is turning out.