Friday, March 02, 2007

Origami out of control

Dear Cynthia (and other friends),

Our house has become a sea of Origami papers, folded into cranes, boxes, fish, birds, and flowers. The boys love trying to decipher the instructions in the Origami books from the library, and I have to admit that I'm intrigued, too...

On a somewhat related note (stay with me here...), one of my friends is moving to Philadelphia, and so a bunch of us are all going out for a farewell dinner tonight. I want to mark the occasion with a **little** gift, something she doesn't have to really worry about packing, something which is useful, etc., so I selected a multi-colored dish rag I knit using oddments of leftover cotton yarn from my stash (because, that is what I had, and I'll just say that I don't know what color her new kitchen will be). (Okay -- that was the extent of the knitting content in this post :-)Anyway, thanks to Origami, I have a nice little gift box for it, too! Very fun, and CHEAP! (This box was made with a sheet of scrapbooking paper and two sheets of plain white paper which I had on hand.) I've scanned the web for the directions to create this, but have only located instructions for making the box bottom, also referred to as the "Masu Box". [I used this book from my local library to learn how to make the box top (also referred to as a "shuttle box") and the lotus flower topper.]

Anyway, I'm looking forward to a nice dinner out (NO COOKING FOR ME TONIGHT), cutting my own food (AND NOBODY ELSE'S), and catching up with some friends I don't get to spend much time with these days. Should be nice...

I hope you (all) have a great weekend!

Warm regards,
Laura (YarnThrower)

2 comments:

Molly Bee said...

Cool box! I love origami. I also have a book on folding dollar bills into animals that I use quite a lot for gifts as well as restaurant tips. Cool dish cloths too!

Elizabeth said...

I tried to comment yesterday about the fingerless mitts, but Blogger was pitching fits. I'm glad it's better today.

For the record, I am the last knitter in North America who still hasn't made fingerless mitts. Although I might give them a whirl: my hands get cold in my lair.