Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Dishrag update

Greetings, and Dear Cynthia,

I now have the Mason Dixon dishrag pattern memorized, which says less about my intellect and more about the easy to memorize, great pattern, which I'm loving!

I give you exhibit A:
This dishrag is nine inches square (81 square inches of knitting). I followed the directions in the Mason-Dixon Knitting book.

I give you exhibit B:This dishrag is seven inches square (49 square inches of knitting). I like my dishrags a little bit smaller, and as an added bonus, this one can be made in only 60% of the time required to make the first one. I followed the directions in the Mason-Dixon Knitting book, EXCEPT I only cast on 33 stitches and I worked fewer repeats of the pattern..... My four year old picked out the yellow. He's been on a "yellow kick" for months. Next time, I'm going to pick my own colors, though.....because I made an executive decision -- When he does the dishes, then he can pick out the dishrag colors.....

Finally, THIS... ...is what is left of the one pound of Kitchen Cotton I purchased about a year ago, also known to me now as "the cone of yarn which doesn't get any smaller no matter how many dishrags I make with it". I have a running tally going in the sidebar in my "favorite finished objects" section, and to date, I have used this cone for 11 dishrags. So...as it turns out, this purchase was quite a bargain, though I'm losing interest in variegated green. However, there's just something fun about a handmade dishrag...

Thank you for the comments! It's so fun for me to feel "connected" to others out in the cyberworld.

Lauren -- You're right! I think I am joining the rest of you with my new BallBand addiction. And I'm not ashamed to say it!

Elizabeth -- I'm going to return the book to the library today, just in case you want to check it out again... :-) You are sooo right about the housework!

Barb outside of Boston -- I like how you look at things. Next time I'm feeling squeezed for time, I'm *not* going to think about how many things I'm sacrificing by not getting them done; I'm going to think of all of the things I've completed, based on a priority system similar to yours. I laughed out loud when you said that if you want your son to go to school, yet he has no clean pants, then laundry will be one of your top three priorities that day!

Mollybeees -- Thank you for your kind comments!

Jennifer -- I don't sleep much, either, though I'm trying to make it more of a priority. It sounds like you have a lot going on this week! I am enjoying watching your progress on Sapporo! Visiting your blog is sort of an unofficial "knit along" for me. Thanks for letting me know about it!

Well, speaking of dishrags, I told myself I'd get my dishes all cleaned up and put away today (one of my three primary tasks for today, now that everybody has clean underwear again...), so time to get going on that.

Warm regards,
Laura (YarnThrower)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Lauren and I started knitting ballbands around the same time. I can't even count how many photos I have on my phone of our WIPs.

Designated Knitter said...

Yes, Lauren has the pattern "memorized" also. Except the part about how many you cast on....

;)

Hi Lauren!!

Lauren said...

Shutup!!!!!!!!! It's 45 dammit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!