Friday, March 23, 2007

Recuring nightmare

Greetings, and Dear Cynthia,

I've been having some trouble sleeping lately, because I think my inner brain is feeling conflicted about the many things I've started and not yet finished. I awoke from a nightmare the other night in which I had signed up for a class, not done anything for it until one week before the end of the semester, and then scurried around trying to figure out how to get an "incomplete" for the semester so that I wasn't carrying around that burden of trying to cram a semester's worth of material into one week of study..... So, I decided that it's time for me to get a project or two completed. I started focussing on my Leaf Lace Shawl. Here it is so far, completely unstretched, with some beads lying on it:I am currently working in the 13th pattern repeat. I want this shawl to be very large and warm, so I decided I'm either going to work 14 or 15 pattern repeats before I start the bottom edging. After blocking, I'm hoping for a back length of about 45 inches and a distance across the top of about 90 inches. Now, a question: The pattern has an option for some beads - one on each point along the bottom edge. I sort of like that idea, so I was trying to find the right beads this morning. The bead store had gobs of beads, though only a few which had holes large enough to put a crochet hook and yarn through (which is what it will take to "install" each bead), so I went to a general craft store, instead. The photo on the pattern has some beads that appear to be metallic?...though, I thought for this casual shawl, wood might be nice. I ended up getting a pack of beads having three shades of wood, all shown in the picture. So, what do you think? Dark, medium, light, something completely different, or none?

Today is the last day before Spring Break. We're going to a waterpark for a couple of days next week, which the kids love. Wish us luck! The last time we were there, my dh broke his toe and ended up spending hours in the emergency room. I'm bringing my shawl knitting so that I'm prepared for the drive, for sitting in an emergency room, or whatever other waiting the trip may bring.....

Warm regards,
Laura (YarnThrower)

8 comments:

Jenn said...

I like the medium ones. I picked those out right away as my favorites (before I even read any words).

Designated Knitter said...

Yes, the medium are good, maybe the dark, but NOT the white! ;)

Sus said...

Yes, the medium ones. :)

Yarngineer said...

What is it about us type-A students? My DH and I have the same dream, except that it starts out that we have an extra class in our schedule that was never dropped properly. So we are a whole semester behind, no classes attended, no midterms, no studying. And they are always in some really hard science...so impossible to bull your way through a final. :)

Glad to know I am not the only one out there having these dreams...years after school. :)

Anonymous said...

I think it would nicer without beads - they distract from the beautiful flow of the pattern and patterning? of the yarn. Plus I'm concerned that they would be uncomfortable to wear - or maybe just a nuisance. Anyway, that's my two cents! I know what you mean about the dreams - I have them frequently!

Lauren said...

Oooh have fun with your family, but I hope noone breaks anything this time.

For the beads, I might have to vote for the medium ones, if any!

Molly Bee said...

I have that same dream, only I show up at the final knowing I haven't gone to any of the classes! Love the shawl. I will have to try knitting with beads one of these days.

Marie N. said...

Hi Laura,

I like the contrast of the dark beads and the match of the medium. In my opinion, the light don't coordinate.

How large are the beads? I'm imagining having them behind my back or under my bottom or legs when sitting and it may be uncomfortable, however nice looking! Are they likely to get snagged on things you walk past when wearing the shawl?