Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Mission Impossible

Dear Cynthia,

My four year old and I had a morning of sitting and waiting. He brings books and crayons; I bring.....well, I don't think I have to tell you what I bring.....

Anyway, I now have three work-in-progress sweaters which I've started within the past two weeks, and I am making an executive decision that I can't begin any new projects now until I have at least two of these sweaters completed. Ideally I'll have these all done by Christmas. More realistically, maybe two of them???? We'll see. It's really amazing what a person can get done waiting at the dentist, then waiting to get bloodwork, etc. Here is the start of Hardangervidda, my true "Mission Impossible".

It is the beginning of the first sleeve. There is a hem already done and waiting to be sewn down on the inside (you might be able to see the "turning ridge" in the photo). And, I've just completed the first couple of rows of a "block rib" pattern, which adds a little texture, one of the things I found appealing about this design. I also think the little "X" on the sleeve center is fun; that little "X" will also mark the center of the front and the back. I wanted to begin with the sleeve, and then if there are any real gauge issues (which I don't anticipate, having used the Heilo yarn when I made the Fana Cardigan, and being exactly on gauge at that time, though knitting gods don't smile kindly on such confident statements), I can figure something else out when I get to the body of the thing, in which circumference really *does* matter a *lot*.

That's all the news for now. Dirty towels all over the house are now calling out to me to get some laundry done.....

Warm regards,
Laura (YarnThrower)

1 comment:

allisonmariecat said...

I love sleeves as "swatches" and yours looks lovely so far.