Friday, September 01, 2006

Close, but no cigar......

Dear Laura:

It's been a busy week, and I haven't found as much time as I had hoped for working on the blanket.....so I have missed my "want to be finished" date of September 1st.

Which is not to say I that I have made no progress at all! I did manage to weave in all gazillion ends, so I am quite excited about that! And I've been researching ideas for the border.
The pattern calls for using several long circulars to pick up and knit the stitches along each side, and then along each end. This does not appeal to me. I've toyed with the idea of a crocheted border, and that is a possibility.

I'm also toying with a "knitted on border" type thing. I'm not saying that it would be faster or easier, but it seems kind of like a fun challenge to figure out. I'll keep you posted.

I haven't decided whether or not to take it along to work on this weekend. It's "the big weekend." My 3 brothers and their wives and 3 of the kids and I are all driving to Kentucky to mom & dad's place. Now, overall this is a fun thing. There are however, details.

1. We are Hall's. The only time a plan is "final" is when it's over. Past tense. Future plans are really more "possibilities." This is not always popular with those who have married into the family. 2 of my sil's announced that if there was not a final plan by 9:00 pm on Thursday, they were staying home. I'm interested to see if the 9:00 plan works out to be "final!"

2. There are several issues to juggle - all the things that my parents would like for us to bring along, how much space is available for that, how many and what vehicles are needed and wanted.....the logistics of 10 people, 1-2 semi-trucks and more than one van can be quite daunting. Once again, it will be interesting.....

3. The "main house" at my parents is a "mobile home." There is a "guest cottage" on the property, which is an RV trailer parked on the hill. (I'm sorry - I just find it amusing! You can't have a stereotype without there being a sense of "true" to it!) Jeff Foxworthy would have a field day! Anyway, they have gotten hotel rooms to supply enough beds, but I also think that it will be interesting to deal with feeding 12 people for three days out of that tiny kitchen.

4. It seems that I find many of the details about this trip "interesting."

5. Of course, the most important decision for me is what knitting to take. It's the first category on my list. Right now it says,
Socks
Irish Hiking Scarf
Cotton yarn and needles for Chris (who wants to learn to knit washcloths)
Blanket?
Now, I will obviously not run out of projects if I take any one of these things, but that doesn't mean that I still won't be inspired to take another project or two along...just in case.

So, that's the news from here. I hope that you have a wonderful Labor Day weekend, and....

Keep knitting!!

Cynthia (aka Designated Knitter)

2 comments:

YarnThrower said...

Laughing out loud about your "planned" trip! You have a great weekend, too. Things here have been crazy, so I probably won't be able to post until Tuesday. With eight hours in a van, I should have SOMETHING to post about..... Kudos for getting the ends woven in on your blanket. With intarsia, that's a huge undertaking!! More soon!

Marie N. said...

No. 1 sounds like visiting my out-of-town family too. It does grow irksome on the inlaws. That makes it more irksome for me and less simple to overlook and say "That's just So and So"

Even my brother and I exchanged knowing glances when we went visiting the out-of-town relatives without our households.

Have fun! Maybe you can inspire some young knitters.