Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Sorry Lauren, this one's mine...

Dear Cynthia,

I finished the "L" sweater, also known as "The Perfect Sweater", though I did make several revisions to the pattern. I went with rolled lower sleeve edges, I purposely selected a looser gauge than the pattern called for (so ended up having to do some of my own "math"), I knit the sleeves in the round instead of flat to avoid a couple of seams, I put in some extra rows for a deeper roll at the neckline....I think that's it. Anyway, I can't wait to wear this sweater. It's blocking now, but I love the fit and will show you what it looks like when I'm wearing it -- hopefully it will be dry by Friday. I have positioned it right next to a heater duct so that the air movement will speed up the drying process. Please tell Lauren that she can make her own "L" sweater. :-) I think this particular pattern would even work very well for her first ever sweater! Sewing in the sleeves is always my least favorite activity, and this sweater has "set in" sleeves, so though it's a little bit of effort, I think it's worth it for the fit.

I love the way the sleeve of your Dale sweater is starting out. That is going to be one adorable sweater when it is done! Your work looks beautiful so far!

I bought some yarn, and it is for a gift, so I'm still living up to my commitment to work from my stash (except for gifts and a couple of other exceptions I mentioned in a previous post). I'm going to make dh some felted moccasins from the Bev Galeskas book Felted Knits, and will use some gray Patons Classic Wool Merino. I'll try to find some gray slipper bottoms for them, once they are felted and I know exactly how long the bottoms of them are. Progress as it happens...

There still is a covering of snow on the ground, and I love it! It's very cold (less than zero at the bus stop this morning), but what can I say. This seems normal to me, and I'm comforted by it (as long as I have my nice warm house to live in, that is).

I'd better tackle today's "to-do" list.

Warm regards,
Laura (YarnThrower)
P.S. You may have noticed that I started a "how-to" section in the side-bar, which will have things like how to install different types of zippers, how to line felted bags, etc.

2 comments:

allisonmariecat said...

The snow is making me uncharacteristically happy. So beautiful and finally wintery! Our lake is well on its way to freezing, too.

I love the L sweater! Lovely colors and very neat intarsia.

Lauren said...

Wow! Your sweater is awesome. I love the color, and it has my initial on it, so cool! I guess I'll let you keep it...this time. I already have my first sweater pattern picked out, the hourglass sweater from LMKG! I even swatched for it the other day, so I hope to start it soon!