Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Goals

Dear Cynthia,

First, a (almost) finished object...

It is a garter stitch scarf, three strands of Wool-Ease on size 11 needles. It's a variation on the popular method of making a scarf "the long way". Cast on 144 stitches LOOSELY. Prior to knitting each row, tie an overhand knot with the working yarn leaving a ten inch loop to form the fringe. When scarf is desired width, bind off LOOSELY. Cut the fringe loops on the ends open, wash and block. Voila'.

I'm going to send this off for the Red Scarf Project. This cause is one that really tugs at my heart, and as I sit here typing this, I am wondering if there are other ways I could contribute to the cause of students who have gotten themselves into college without the guidance of a "forever family". Admiration. That is what I have for these kids. My parents have always been so supportive; I'm not sure what I would have become if left only up to my own devices... These kids must be just amazing.

This year, I thought more about my goals than I have in most years past. I have goals in four categories: Health, Academic, Family, and Knitting (not necessarily in order of importance).

In health, I want to lower my total cholesterol to 180, and achieve better cardiac fitness. I've been working out regularly, at least three times a week, since October 1st, and have noticed a lot of improvement already. After the new year, I started eating much better, too, reducing my saturated fat intake to minimal amounts, and trying to eat more soluble fiber to help tackle the cholesteral issue. I only mention all of this because working out reduces my knitting time. If I could figure out a way to run without getting my needles and yarn all sweaty, that would be great, but so far.....

In the knitting category, like many bloggers I've read about, I'm going to try to knit from my stash. My stash is not enormous, but it could easily keep me busy for the year. I'm not totally depriving myself, and have made some allowances for purchasing yarn:
  • If it is for a gift
  • If I have an idea for a pattern submission (though, I really haven't enjoyed the whole "deadline" thing with the knitting, so only if it is for something which I was going to knit for myself anyway)
  • If I have a gift certificate
  • If I require additional yarn to complete a project I'm working on from my stash
Other knitting goals include really getting my work area organized. My work area includes my sewing machine, serger, and storage for all yarn and crafty supplies, as well as all files (medical, financial, etc) which keep the household running.

I've also toyed with the idea of working on my Master Knitter Level II certification, though haven't committed to that as a goal.

Anyway, I'd better get busy if I'm to get any of this done!

Warm regards,
Laura (YarnThrower)

No comments: