Monday, August 21, 2006

Loose Ends

Dear Cynthia,

It's time for me to catch up on a little knitting business.....

First of all, regarding your comment about my kids having my analytical abilities, I must assure you that things in life seem to balance out sometimes, and both kids have also received some less attractive genes, such as those related to being anally retentive, and also a large serving of independence. The latter is really a good trait, too, I suppose, though within limits, which the boys have not yet learned, as it looks a little bit more like defiance to me on most days.

To answer Marie's question, yes, I am knitting the sleeve in the round. (Also, don't ever worry about "ignorance" around here! One of the great things about knitting is that no matter what a person knows about it, there are always soooo many more things to learn and experiment with.) My least favorite part of knitting is weaving in the ends, and next to that is sewing seams, so whenever I think it will work okay, I typically try to use techniques which minimize the number of seams I must sew. Since this sweater is a simple "dropped sleeve" construction, it works great to just knit the sleeve in the round. If it wasn't for the striping on the cuff, I would have picked up my stitches at the armhole and worked in the round down to the cuff (but because of the stripes, and being anally retentive, I didn't want the little "vee's" of the stitches for the stripes to be "upside down" as compared to the stripes on the body of the sweater).....

And finally, Allison, thank you for your kind comments!!

No snapshots today, as I am under the weather. I've had a sore throat the past few days, and yesterday we had a party to celebrate both kids' birthdays with relatives (that way everybody only has to make the trip once), so today I'm trying to take it easy for a little while this morning. The sore throat is much better, though not gone, and other cold symptoms have appeared to take its place. Tonight, the quartet I'm in (Madison Marimba Quartet) has a concert in Milwaukee, so I'll be relying on Day-Quil in order to function. However, it does not diminish the fact that I'll have two hours of knitting time in the car!!!!! (Nice, because yesterady I had a complete day without knitting **gasp**). Since we've got a full week planned (more on that later), I won't be able to post again until Saturday, so I hope everybody has a great week!

Also, just wondering how things went with the baptism! I'm sure that everybody was very impressed with your baptismal shawl!! I want to see it in person some time!!

Warm regards,
Laura (YarnThrower)

1 comment:

Marie N. said...

thank you! I appreciate the tips. It must be that I have not worked with patterns calling for knitting in the round because I like the loot and fit set in sleeves with the sleeve cap.

Maybe next time a make a sweater for a man or a boy...