Tuesday, October 03, 2006

My three sweaters in three months challenge

Dear Cynthia,

Now that I have three new sweaters on the needles, I started sewing again...

Here is a dinosaur costume, almost completed, for my four year old. Every day after lunch he asks me to work on it for a little while. It's actually gone together quite quickly, except for the part in which I sewed the hood on upside down and had to rip that out. ("Ripping out" -- an activity I don't limit to knitting.) (Note that prior to being a "stay at home mom", I designed industrial machinery, sometimes for use in explosive atmospheres -- very detail-oriented work; now I sew hoods onto costumes "upside down".) In any case, back on track, and all that remains is to finish up the front of the hood with a casing and some elastic. Next in queue is a dog costume for my six year old.

Work continues on all three sweaters. I really do spend a lot of time waiting around these days -- today I'll be at the library twice, both times sitting around while my kids are involved in an activity. Tomorrow it will be three hours at the car dealership while our van is being worked on. I know you understand how much all of this otherwise "wasted" time can really add up. Here is the first sleeve of Hardangervidda, so far. Because I'm a believer in math, and since I've almost knit through two skeins (out of 16 main color skeins required) in only one week, it is plausible this sweater could be done at the end of November.....provided my little "upside down" streak is over.....

I'll keep you posted on the other two sweaters during the rest of this week. As I survey the situation, I'm going to be knitting a lot of sleeves very soon.....

Warm regards,
Laura (YarnThrower)

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

The costume is really cute! But, yeah, being a full-time mom turns your brains to mush. I think it's breastfeeding: it takes your brain cells and feeds them to your children. They are permanently enriched and you just have to learn to get along with few brain cells.

Lauren said...

Very cool costume. I remember my mom made me a "princess riding a horse" costume, which was pretty elaborate with a horse that sat around your middle (so it looked like you were "riding" the horse). I felt pretty special! The sweater is moving so fast! I can only hope to knit one in twice as much time as you.

allisonmariecat said...

Ah, cute dinosaur costume! I can't sew except to clumsily replace a button, so I'm quite impressed, despite the upside-down hood incident :)

I hope your three sweaters-in-three-months plan works out! It looks like you have quite a good start.