Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Tuesday Sewing

Greetings, and Dear Cynthia,

Thanks for your comments regarding taking it easy with the socks which cramp my hands! Now I'll feel less guilt if I decide to cast on something else and make a "rule" that I may only knit a few rows at a time on the straining sock (Blackberry Ridge "Traveling Sock" pattern). I actually DID take the advice of sage sock knitters and immediately cast on for the second sock before I thought too much about it, so I'm part way through the ribbing. Sadly, that is about all the knitting I've done in the last several days.

I'm continuing my never ending pursuits to organize this home. I think that is taking up some time. On Tuesdays, I work in my sewing room/work area. Such was the case this morning. I have had two small boys' shirts cut out, one of them partly sewn, for almost a year, so today I finished them both. I think they'll fit my six year old. I hope so, because my four year old doesn't like them.

I also did some more work on my valences. I'm not sure what I was thinking with the SEVEN panels, because really, that is a LOT of panels, and it's similar to making socks, except that there are SEVEN of them instead of only TWO. Anyway, my goal is to finish three more panels today, and then I'll have one completed valence.

I start with two rectangles, each cut from a different fabric, measuring 10 x 41 inches. I sew these together, right sides together, leaving an opening in one of the ends for turning. Then, I turn them right side out, and press the edges out. It is critical that these edges be very "sharp", so I generally lick the tips of my fingers, then grab the edges I'm trying to press out and gently roll the fabric between my fingers a little bit until there is no excess fabric in the fold. Then, I press with a steam iron, move over a couple of inches to the next section, and repeat, until the entire rectangle is done. In the area which was left open for turning, I turn those raw edges to the inside and press them flat, too. (That open area will be sewn shut during the next step.)
Then, fold one end over 5 1/2 inches, and stitch close to the edge (which will be roughly 5 3/8 inches from the folded edge). Stitch again 2 inches from the folded edge. Now there is a casing, a little bit bigger than three inches through which the curtain rod may be inserted, and the area above this rod pocket makes a cute little ruffle above the curtain rod. I think this will be obvious when I show the finished valence.

In any case, on the other end of the rectangle, again fold the edge over 5 1/2 inches, except this time to the opposite side. Stitch close to the edge (roughly 5 3/8 inches from the folded edge) and again 2 inches from the folded edge. Now the sewing is done on the panel, and it just has to be installed. I'll show you a photo of a completed panel, before and after installation, in my next post.....

Anyway, we are in our final week of school. Friday is the last day, and then my oldest "baby" will be a "second grader". I can't believe it. Things get more complicated as I try to work on house projects with both kids home..... After school today, we're going to get new shoes. I discovered the other day that my six year old has worn clear through the bottom of his sneakers..... There's just something about a new pair of shoes! I don't know anybody who doesn't love the prospects of having a new pair.

I'd better go get some lunch made.

Warm regards,
Laura (YarnThrower)

2 comments:

Molly Bee said...

oooo1 I love the bug shirt! Is it tshirt material? Did you have problems with it stretching when you put it through the machine? Thanks for the name of the sock pattern. I'll have to look for that one. It's gorgeous!

Sus said...

Great shirts! I, too, love the bug fabric! My great-nephew went through a serious bug phase. He would have been thrilled with that. Hope your little one is as happy with it!

Also, cool valance tutorial. Since my drapes are provided here (and they don't even suck too bad), I probably won't partake, but it's still awesome.

Are you coming over here for any festivals this summer? Maybe we could meet up! Cool!