Saturday, June 14, 2008

PT School, Week One

Greetings, and Dear Cynthia,

Day One of PT School went something like this:

5:50am: Catch the bus, which is really, really an early time, because commuter routes haven't started yet, so I had to get on the bus which goes all over my little city before it heads down to campus.

6:30am: Arrive at MSC (Medical Science Center) with my hair really frizzy due to the really, really high level of humidity.

7:00am: Mandatory orientation meeting, in which I meet the other 38 students who make up the "PT Class of 2011." Approximately 1/4 of the students were in my Physiology of Exercise class last summer.

7:45am: Anatomy lecture. I sit down, and a minute or two later, the lady sitting in the row in front of me turns around and asks me if I know who she is. It took me a second to figure it out, because it's been a while since I've seen her, but she is one of the people who was in my graduating class in high school. She and I used to hang around together. Talk about your extremely small worlds. We seem like strangers now, and I suppose in most respects, we are. She is studying OT (Occupational Therapy).

8:50am - 12:00pm: Anatomy lab

12:30pm: Individual PHOTO, which the school will post on the web and on the wall in the PT department, which aptly captures my humidity-induced frizzy hair, and in which both of my bra straps are showing.
Day Two of PT school:

7:12am: Catch the bus, a commuter route which goes almost directly to campus, dropping me off about one block from my building. Since the time of the course was moved to an earlier time by five minutes (which doesn't seem like much but makes all the difference in the world), I literally (and when I say "literally," I mean **literally**) RUN from the bus stop to the building, arriving in my seat exactly at 7:45am. As soon as my butt hits the seat, the professor starts talking.
Day Three of PT school:

I start to get into the routine a little bit, and I find myself really engaged in the material I'm learning, and so thankful for this opportunity. I'm carrying nine credits (anatomy alone is six credits, and the highest credit class I've ever had), and a couple of my instructors are phenomenal and quite funny.
Number of stitches knit this past week: Zero.

Goals for this weekend: Knit two rows on Ibenholt, and gobs of studying.

Number of workouts this past week: Only two. However, I'll have more time in the mornings this coming week to get back into the swing of things.

Right now, my five year old and I are off to walk to the post office (my dad's Fathers' Day card will be arriving a day late), the library book sale, and some garage sales. It's a beautiful day!

I hope this finds you well!
Warm regards,
Laura (YarnThrower)


Sus said...

Sounds like you're starting to get into the swing of things. I'm sure the knitting will pick up. Just be glad you don't have to take your classes under water right now!! Best of luck with classes!

Cindy G said...

Thanks for posting about the week. (I had to laugh at the frizzy hair and bra straps - that is so the kind of photo I end up with).

I think running from the bus to the class should count as at least part of a workout.

Sounds like you are off to a great start.

allisonmariecat said...

Yay for you! Sounds like a great start (well, not the bus at 5:50 part).

Marie N. said...

Sounds like some more heavy duty classes. But come 2011, what a wonderful field to be in!

I'm a PT drop out -- all the science classes chased me right over to the English department.

Does running from bus to class while carrying books count as a workout?