Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Socks zigging and zagging along!


Hello all - thank you so much for you kind comments about the Jaywalker mitts! They were a fun distraction from the blanket project (which I'm not going to talk about much for a while. I'm working on it. It's growing. Not much more to say until it gets close to the end!) The Jaywalker pattern is a great candidate for converting to fingerless mitts. All I had to do to make the circumference smaller was decrease the number of stitches between the increases/decreases, and then add a standard thumb gusset when I got to that point. It's so fun when it works out to be simple!


Here is a picture of the progress of my Sockapalooza 4 socks. Now, I know that at first glance, they look exactly like the first picture I posted. In fact, I staged the photo differently to assure you that it is indeed a different picture! (But you're right, it is at the same point....)




See? The first picture is on the top, the current picture on the bottom. If you look REALLY REALLY hard, you may be able to tell that currently the zig-zag lace line moves toward the middle at the same time and outward at the same time, where in the original pattern, they move in parallel. That just made me twitchy! Gotta have symmetry!

Now that I've got my pattern charted out, it's much easier to get into the rhythm of cabling without a cable needle. I was telling Lauren today while we knitted at lunch that I still have to THINK about how to do it, but by time I've done 2 socks worth of it, I'm sure I'll be able to do it in my sleep! You're so right, Marie - it takes a lot of practice!


The lace pattern is 12 rows, and I can do a repeat in 45-55 minutes. Right now, since I'm on the foot portion, I'm only doing the lace on the top 1/2 of the stitches. We'll see if my time changes once I get to the leg portion.


That's all for today - keep knitting!!


Cynthia (aka Designated Knitter!)

1 comment:

Cindy G said...

I like your switch to symmetry on the socks - definite improvement IMO (but so much for a pattern that didn't need tweaking).