Wednesday, December 09, 2009

Is this sock ugly?

Greetings and Dear Cynthia,

How is your Christmas knitting going. It didn't sound crazy to me at all. Really. Ahem.

I would *love* to see a photo of your Cassidy cardigan. I'm thinking about making that one, too, and I just know your mom is going to love hers after you finish it and gift it to her... (Christmas 2009?)

I am sitting home on a "snow day" today. The University of Wisconsin-Madison is *closed* for the day, due to our blizzard warning. (The last time the UW cancelled classes was in 1990.) City buses, which usually go by our house several times an hour, aren't running, and even DH has the day off because of the weather. We've cleared about 15 inches of snow already, and it continues to drop steadily. It's beautiful right now; tonight the winds are supposed to increase (I think the heavy winds are required if they're going to call this a "blizzard") and the temperatures are expected to drop considerably. I am so thankful for a cozy home.

I'm still knitting little hats and mittens (ornaments). I especially like the red mitten having the cable, and will probably knit it's mate to tie on a gift for a friend of ours who is also a knitter. I still have to decide the fate of the others yet, though they will probably also accompany little gifts...
I also started a pair of Grumperina's "Jaywalkers" using my Kaffe Fassett Design Line Regia yarn. Cynthia G gave me the idea of using a chevron type pattern for the striping yarn, and I had actually been wanting to do that for a long time, so here's where we are so far:
Question: Is this sock ugly so far? I need to know...honestly. I'm thinking about ripping it out. I think the heel looks especially odd the way the colors ended up...

Also, you will notice that I am knitting this sock from the top down, and now, a few rows past the whole heel thing, I'm already wondering if I'm going to have enough yarn. AAUGH! I've definitely morphed into a "toe-up" sock knitter, and you will hear my scream all the way in Indiana if I run out of yarn just shy of the toe... I'm knitting the largest size, because of many reports from other knitters that this pattern lacks stretchiness. I'm able to get it over my heel easily, though am glad I went with the larger size.

And so, while we are debating the ugliness of that sock, I also started another one.
I think this is a prettier color scheme, and it might have even been a better choice for the Jaywalkers pattern, though I'm content to knit this one in 2x2 ribbing on the instep and ankle.

Well, I do have some studying to attend to today. I still have two weeks left of the craziness, and the fun of finals begins one week from Saturday. Nothing like a day off today, though, to re-group and get caught up on some things. I've missed you all, and am thankful for your blog posts so that I can keep up with your goings on even though I've been a blogging slacker.

Warm regards,
Laura (YarnThrower)

6 comments:

Lauren said...

Cute little ornament or gift-additions!!!! I like that red mitten too. As far as the sock, I would say for my personal tastes its a bit too bold, but I'm sure for someone of brighter preferences (ahem, Cynthia) it would be a fine sock! I've always liked those jaywalker socks though! (maybe someday ill make a pair... someday lol)

Cindy G said...

I love (!!!) the sock. Of course, I'm partial to wildly bright socks, and I'm never really bothered by a little funkyness at the heel - I guess socks are the one place where I'm willing to let my inner wild woman out into the open. Of course, not everyone feels quite that way about their socks..... I would say the sock is definitely not ugly, just may not be your particular cup of tea.

The ornaments are adorable.

Marie N. said...

HI,

I would not go so far as to say the sock was ugly. I would not have anything in my wardrobe to match it, so I guess it is just full of colors I usually would look right past.

The greens in the new toe are very appealing to me. Fear of running out of yarn would probably lead to to rip the socks if I was the knitter. The yarn might be destined for footies. I like the cute little mittens!

allisonmariecat said...

I would not call your sock 'ugly' in the least. I might say that for me, it's not the best match of pattern and yarn. Jaywalkers is fun, isn't it? Mine are too snug and require lots of tugging - should have made the larger size, too.

I adore the little gifts! So much cuteness!

Molly Bee said...

That is one rocking sock! I love the bright colors and don't think the heel looks bad.
Love the ornaments too1

Laikabear said...

The colors in the sock are not to my taste. I tried to knit the Jaywalkers a few times and they are still too tight to get on my feet! I found that pattern so frustrating!

Love the little ornaments!