Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Graduation gift

Greetings, and Dear Cynthia,

I had a very nice Mothers' Day -- low key and perfect that way. DH and the boys made dinner for me, and I can't think of a better treat! The boys decided on tomato soup, which is quite a sacrifice for them, since they don't like it, but they know that I love it. They also made whole wheat scones to go with it, and I have to say that they can cook for me any time! Because it was Mothers' Day, my five year old told me, "You don't have to be so good. You should have fun." It was sweet, and endearing..... and then I couldn't stop thinking that he sounded like a college student just before a frat party. If something is fun, does that mean it isn't good? I think knitting proves that "fun" and "good" are **not** mutually exclusive!

One of my nieces is graduating from high school Memorial Day weekend, so I've been working on a gift for her. She's planning on attending Michigan Tech in fall. Their colors are gold and silver, though their sports teams wear black and yellow, so I put together this blanket / pillow / scarf ensemble:Their mascot is a Husky, but I couldn't find mascot fabric anywhere, and I can't sew a picture of a husky, so instead I made paw prints by sewing two layers together and cutting inside the stitching on one of the layers so the opposite color would show through.

Not much knitting news. I ended up re-knitting my Ibenholt sleeve twice more, because as it turns out, I'm impaired when it comes to figuring out my gauge. FINALLY, however, I think I've REALLY got it THIS TIME, and am using size six needles (instead of the size four called for in the pattern).

My five year old is running a fever today, so we're having a quiet day at home, and I'm cranking through the laundry, managing to put off grocery shopping for another day...

Warm regards,
Laura (YarnThrower)

5 comments:

Marie N. said...

Hope he is feeling better soon. The paw prints are a great alternative to sewing the whole husky!

marit said...

What a cute gift for your niece! Love the pawprints!
Hope Jr. is getting well soon...

Cindy G said...

What a great gift! She'll love it.

allisonmariecat said...

Love the blanket/pillow ensemble!

Your Mother's Day sounds nice! Wow, boys who cook--that's impressive :)

Hank hendricks said...

Gift is to remind anyone that how much you care about....and want to see smile on his face.

gift pakistan