Sunday, November 05, 2006

We interrupt this program...

Dear Cynthia,

No post about the three sweater challenge today. It's the weekend, and with dh home, it means no progress on Hardangervidda, anyway....

So, I'm interrupting my regularly scheduled knitting to take care of something more pressing. My four year old son doesn't have a scarf. His mother is a knitter, so I don't know how this can be. But it is, and this weekend I was determined to do something about it. I talked with him about it. He told me he wanted a yellow scarf....just a plain yellow scarf.

I showed him many nice ideas for scarves which I really, really wanted to make, such as this, or anything on this page. He looked through one of my knitting books. He disappeared for a couple of minutes, and came back with this drawing. It's a little bit hard to make out, because he drew it with a yellow crayon. (He really is fixated on yellow.) Anyway, he told me that this is the kind of scarf he wanted. Just plain, and yellow, apparently having a little bit of fringe on the ends... No geckos, no snakes.

So, I was thinking about when I might have a chance for a trip to the yarn store...when lo and behold, at the Farmers' Market yesterday morning, there was a vendor selling yarn. It's not merino, or anything like that, but it's produced locally (which I often try to support), and there was some which had a bit of a yellow hue to it, and after just purchasing gobs of "popcorn on the cob" to make into little kits for Christmas gifts for teachers and some friends, I was in a "wow, I'm taking care of so many things this morning here at the Farmers' Market" kind of a mode, so my four year old picked out a hank and we were on our way. Later, however, and even though my little guy traipsed around with that yarn the rest of the morning as though it was a treasure, I started thinking about how he really did want yellow, just a plain yellow scarf, and though the yarn had a hint of yellow, it had not been dyed, and perhaps I should have listened better to the little guy. So, this morning after church, we picked up some "orange" Crystal Light, and did a little "Kool Aid Dying". (Once in the past, we tried to make something yellow using Kool Aid, and it didn't work very well. Then I read on Allison's blog that she had great success with achieving a vivid yellow by using the Crystal Light orange flaver.) Here it is after our dye job, and my little guy seems quite pleased with the new color.

Now it is drying, and I'm thinking about going out to get some yard work done on this glorious fall day. The sun is shining, the temperature is mild, and for anybody who hasn't finished planting bulbs yet (ahem), today might be one of the last chances.....

Warm regards,
Laura (YarnThrower)

2 comments:

Marie N. said...

That is a nice yellow! The world of fiber dying is all unkown to me.

allisonmariecat said...

Lovely yellow you made! Boy, for 4 years old, he really knows exactly what he wants in a scarf :)