Friday, August 18, 2006

Showing my literary ignorance.....

Dear Cynthia,

As you know, I've been tagged.....from here.....

I'm sure there must be an easier way to do this, but I can't figure out how to paste something into Blogger (unless it is a jpg file), so I'll use the cave-man method and type the whole thing in. (If anybody knows of a better way to do this, I'm all ears!)

1. One book that changed your life:
Hmmm...."changed" is a pretty strong word, but I often think about To Kill a Mockingbird, because I've encountered a few people similar to Boo Radley in my life, and so I think about that sometimes. And, I read it in high school during a year when I had an awesome English teacher.
2. One book you've read more than once:
Hmmm... It is probably non-fiction, and probably knitting, something like certain sections of Vogue Knitting, and certain sections of The Opinionated Knitter. Does the Bible count? I've read that more than once.
3. One book you'd want on a desert island: (Note: not the ONLY book)
Hmmm.... I am clearly a literary idiot. I've never read Harry Potter, though my dad has the whole series, so I might ask to borrow it at some point -- May I take the Harry Potter series
with me to the desert island?
4. One book that made you laugh:
When I was pregnant, I read The Girlfriend's Guide to Pregnancy" (or something like that) and I recall a part that mentioned how a husband is not supposed to mention anything about cows, or something like that, and another part about giant underwear, which made me laugh hysterically, though it doesn't seem as funny right now. Also, a couple of the Yarn Harlot's books.
5. One book that made you cry:
Where the Red Fern Grows, when I was a kid. I was at an orchestra rehearsal, and didn't have to play on one of the pieces, and so I was reading this book and sobbing.
6. One book that you wish had been written:
How to Effortlessly Raise a Child Who Becomes a God-Fearing Contributing Member of Society and Who Doesn't Talk Back to Mommy
7. One book that you wish had never been written:
Well....in general.....I think that college text books are updated too frequently, and it is a waste of paper, and poor students' money, etc., to have to purchase the "current" edition even though it is 99% the same as the prior edition which the same poor students' room-mate already has and no longer needs and would give it up for cheap....so, new editions to perfectly good text books are the ones I wish had never been written. (Okay, so I'm carrying some baggage about this, because I just purchased my course materials for my Developmental Psych class which I start in another couple of weeks, and it was $128.!!!! When I was in college the first time, I could get four text books for that price!!
8. One book you're currently reading:
Ummmm.... yes, literary idiot right now... I have some mysteries waiting to be read, and am skimming through the Yarn Harlot's latest....but only after I've pored through the latest issue of Interweave Knits again.....
9. One book you've been meaning to read:
The Notebook
10. Now tag eight people....
Hmmm....

When I was a kid, I used to read a lot. When I was in college, I only had one English class, and it was a literature class, and I hated it. I could never figure out all of the symbolism in the books, and it was a big effort for me to read some of the material with comprehension. I think I've got some mental blocks in that area. Anyway.....

Well, it's been a dreary, rainy day here today, and the boys and I are feeling a little bit cooped up. I should get going on making some dinner, and then maybe some, ummm, knitting tonight?

Warm regards,
Laura (YarnThrower)

No comments: